Wee Town Outlaw Speedway

This is what remains of Wee Town Outlaw Speedway (also known as Lake Region Speedway and West Central Speedway) northeast of Fergus Falls.  This was once a very cool place to watch stock cars and outlaws.  Fergus Falls Journal wrote an interesting story about this place back in 2007.

Originally opened in 1962, the speedway went through multiple owners and several periods of inactivity over the years.  In 1986, high water began to become a problem at the speedway, and the track was closed from 1987 to 1989.  It reopened in 1990 before closing down for good in 1993.  What you see below is how it looks today, nineteen years after it shut down.  The pits and a good portion of the track are completely flooded.

For an interesting contrast, I actually found a long-form video which features racing at the Weetown Outlaw Speedway when it reopened in 1990.  The first part of this video is recorded at the Red River Valley Speedway in West Fargo.  Jump to the 1:35:00 mark (that’s one hour, thirty five minutes) to see racing action at the Wee Town Outlaw Speedway from 1990.

The former water truck sits in about three feet of water on the track infield.

See Also: I94 Speedway

Photos by Troy, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

13 Responses to “Wee Town Outlaw Speedway”
  1. Scott Sailer says:

Love the pictures! I’ve been wanting to visit the track as part of my TV show, The Racing Life. Now might be a good time!

2. private says:

Thanks to Ottertail county and the MN DNR for another Screw up again (or should I stay still)!!!

3. Lloyd Llewellyn says:

I remember hearing the roar of engines coming from this track when I was younger. Good times.

I’m confused – what does the dnr or the county have to do with the track closing? It was always a swampy area and several seasons of high moisture basically turned it back into a slough. You can’t fight mother nature.

4. Clif Nelson says:

very kool picsof a time gone by…we had a small speedway years ago between Adams,N.D. and Park River,N.D.,closer to P.R. tho

5. Brown says:

This is so amazing and just gives me goosebumps watching that video. I found some more pics that show a little more that places story. I was about 4 when it closed and never heard about it. I grew up near the Buffalo River Speedway and still love to watch a good dirt track race.

6. I would have liked to see pictures when it was up and running, old race pictures in black and white and color photos of the track in its days of operation, It would nice to clean up and have a reunion for all the racers and pitman and families to share the memories, just my thoughts

7. Jerry Holmaas says:

Love the footage from the Wee Town Outlaw Speedway! My wife and I used to go there back in 1979-81 when I was in seminary at Lutheran Brethren Schools. Not the fanciest bull ring around but some good racing. And I’ll never forget the track announcer Tiltin’ Hilton!!

8. clayton says:

My dad won a Budweiser night there he still has pics of it. The week before that he was pushed off of turn three into the woods.

9. Dave says:

We raced snowmobiles there back in the early ’70s. Great track, lots of fun

10. Brian Deckeet says:

I used to go here back in the 60s 70 s I really miss it

11. Donna says:

my dad built this track and raced it as well as 2 of my brothers. In fact my mother still lives next door. We have many stories and my brother Ron is one of the race announcers at I 94. So feel free to ask him questions. Lots of great memories there.

Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] See Also: Wee Town Outlaw Speedway […]